Well, What is android? Android isn’t a phone or an application, but it is an operating system based on the Linux kernel. No clue what that is?, Linux is an operating system (OS) most commonly found on servers and desktop computers. Android isn’t just a version of Linux, due to the many changes found under the hood, but it is similar.
So, Android is an operating system (OS) designed with mobile in mind, the place where your phone’s all functions and applications live. Everything you see on the display of your device is a part of the android operating system. When you get a call, text message, or email, the android OS processes that information and puts it in a human-readable format.
The Android OS is divided into various version, implying significant jumps in features, updates, operation, and stability, which usually have codenames. So, if you hear someone say Android kitkat Marshmallow, Nougat, Oreo, Pie, or the latest Android 10, that is just the name of the android version you might have on your device.
What is Android versions
Since the initial release, there have been many versions of Android, that is why if you have multiple Android devices (e.g. android with different versions) there be noticeable differences. Here are the different major Android versions with their code names.
- Android version 1.0 released on September 23, 2008.
- Cupcake Android version 1.5 released on April 27, 2009.
- Donut Android version 1.6 released on September 15, 2009.
- Eclair Android version 2.0 released on October 29, 2009.
- Android version 2.1 released on January 12, 2010.
- Froyo Android version 2.2 released on May 20, 2010.
- Gingerbread Android version 2.3 released on December 6, 2010.
- Honeycomb Android version 3.0 released on February 22, 2011.
- Android version 3.1 released on May 10, 2011.
- Android version 3.2 released on July 15, 2011.
- Ice Cream Sandwich Android version 4.0 released on Oct. 8, 2011.
- Jelly Bean Android version 4.1 released on July 9, 2012.
- Android version 4.2 released on November 13, 2012.
- Android version 4.3 released on July 24, 2013.
- KitKat Android version 4.4 released on October 31, 2013.
- Lollipop Android version 5.0 released on November 3, 2014.
- Marshmallow Android version 6.0 released on October 5, 2015.
- Nougat Android version 7.0 released on August 22, 2016.
- Oreo Android version 8.0 released on August 21, 2017.
- Android version 8.1 released on February 27, 2019.
- Pie Android version 9.0 released on February 27, 2019.
If you want to read the definition of android on its official site then you can always visit what is android? Android provides us many cool features, also we can unlock many features by jailbreaking our device. For that, you should know basics to jailbreak your android device also known as rooting android device. you can read the full article on How to root an android device.